• The number of people killed by the Beirut Port explosions of 4 August reached at least 180, with over 6,500 injured.
• The port is partially operational, with nearly 9,000 containers unloaded between 11-18 August. The Lebanese Armed Forces cleaned up the eastern area of the port.
• The Lebanese Red Cross coordinated a multi-sectoral needs assessment, surveying 6,000 households.
• Following further assessments, the number of affected schools increased to 159, with more than 85,000 children affected.
• More than 180,000 people are being reached with critical, life-saving humanitarian assistance, including through health, food assistance, and protection projects.
• On 21 August, 628 new COVID-19 cases were confirmed in Lebanon, bringing the country’s total to 11,580.
• A two-week lockdown comes into effect on 21 August, in an effort to stem the surge in COVID-19 cases. Relief and aid work in the aftermath of the explosions will be permitted to continue.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.