Lao PDR: Flash Floods - Office of the Resident Coordinator Situation Report No. 7 (as of 9 August 2018)
• The water level is receding in most affected areas, but road access remains difficult due to floods and mud. Some areas are accessible only by helicopter.
• Based on the Government’s information, 13 villages have been affected, five are considered severely affected. The Government has declared the affected area a National Disaster Zone.
• About 2,100 people in the Ban Bok camp and the three camps accessible only by air require additional support.
• Current priority needs include fresh food, water, health, psychosocial support, shelter and specific items such as bins, water tanks and family kits.
• Fourteen temporary houses including latrines are being built and will be completed in a month.
• At least 27 United Nations, Red Cross, INGO and NGO partners are supporting the Government-led relief operations.
• The Humanitarian Country Team has launched a Disaster Response Plan requesting US$ 5.6 million to provide life-saving assistance and recovery services to 13,100 people in Sanamxay District.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.