Kyrgyzstan: Floods/Mudflows OCHA Situation Report No. 1
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Kyrgyzstan - Floods / Mudflows
23 June 2005
This situation report is based on information received from the office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Kyrgyzstan.
1. From 10 - 13 June 2005 torrential rains have led to a number of mudflows and floods in Southern Kyrgyzstan, namely in Osh Province (Nookat, Uzgen, Karasuu, Karakuldja and the Alay district), Batken Province (Kyzyl, Kia town, Kadamjai, Batken, and the Laylak district) and Jalalabat Province (Suzak, the Bazarkorgon district and Jalalabat town). According to the weather forecast, torrential rains are expected to continue until 28 June 2005.
2. As a result, 79 inhabited locations and 3,629 houses were flooded. 147 houses and 565 household buildings were completely destroyed. 66 bridges are in an emergency situation. More than 170 km of highway are damaged and 2,487 hectares of sowed land is destroyed. Three people are dead, 410 families are temporarily accommodated in tents or with relatives.
3. Preliminary reports estimate approximately 124 million KGS (USD 2,660.000.00) in direct material damage caused by the flooding.
4. The Ministry of Ecology and Emergency Situations of the Kyrgyz Republic has provided fuel, bulldozers, excavators, tractors and dump trucks.
5. The local Civil Defense Offices have allocated 58 tents for temporary accommodation. Some people have been placed with their relatives.
6. The Ministry of Ecology and Emergency Situations of the Kyrgyz Republic has published the following figures concerning ongoing relief operations:
- 1,330 households recovered from floods
- 1,404 households disinfected
- 400 homeless families live in tents
- Dikes repairing: 31,93 km
- Highway rehabilitation: 64 km
- Bridge rehabilitation: 3 bridges
7. The Government of the Kyrgyz Republic has requested assistance through the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator/Humanitarian Coordinator to meet the immediate needs. The Government urgently requests blankets, bedding, tents - 500 pieces, diesel - 300 tons, fuel, roofing slates - 10,000 pieces, medicine and food.
8. Thus far UNCHR has provided 23 tents and the National Society of Red Cross & Red Crescent delivered humanitarian assistance to Uzgen in Osh Province. The following items have been distributed:
- 100 mattresses
- 100 blankets
- 100 pillows
- 100 sets of bed linen
- 100 pails
- 100 kazans (cast-iron pots)
- 50 packings of washing powder
- 100 packets of laundry soap
- 100 rubber boots
- 100 candles
- 50 first-aid set
9. OCHA is in close contact with the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Kyrgyzstan and will revert with further information as required.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Dusan Zupka
Direct Tel. +41-22-917-1645
Ms. Charlotta Benedek
Direct Tel: +41-22-917-1205
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel.
+41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-917-892 1679