Operations Update no. 3; Period covered: 11 March to 24 May, 2007; Appeal target: CHF 657,055 (USD 540,725 or EUR 406,670)
Appeal coverage: cash 56%, in-kind 24%
- Launched on 11 January 2007 for CHF 487,745 (USD 391,474 or EUR 301,872) for five months to assist 6,660 beneficiaries.
- Appeal target revised to CHF 657,055 (USD 540,725 or EUR 406,670) with Operations Update no.2.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: CHF 100,000 (USD 80,855 or EUR 62,143) in December 2006.
The response operation of the Kyrgyzstan Red Crescent Society in the earthquake affected area continued during the reporting period. Thanks to funds received from multilateral donors the National Society, with support from the International Federation, managed to cover 1,200 target households with food and hygiene items. In addition, 862 households received second-hand clothing. As the government took the responsibility for school reconstruction, the Appeal objective in rehabilitation has been revised. Responding to local needs, the Red Crescent is instead supporting 250 of those families who have to build new houses with cement to allow proper seismic reinforcement. However, activities against the new objective have been delayed due to massive demonstrations in the country in April.
The International Federation undertakes activities that are aligned with its Global Agenda, which sets out four broad goals to meet the Federation's mission to "improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity".
Global Agenda Goals:
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
- Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the
most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- In Kyrgyzstan: Aigul Atakanova, Disaster Management Coordinator, Kyrgyzstan Red Crescent Society, Bishkek; email firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 996 312 66 49 49; fax 996 312 66 21 81.
- In Kyrgyzstan: Rosa Shayakhmetova, Secretary General, Kyrgyzstan Red Crescent Society, Bishkek; email email@example.com; phone 996312 66 38 86; fax 996312 66 21 81.
- In Kazakhstan: Jagan Chapagain, Head of Regional Delegation, Regional Delegation for Central Asia, Almaty; email firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 7327 291 41 56; fax 7327 291 42 67.
- In Kazakhstan: Zhanna Andagulova, Regional DM Coordinator, Regional Delegation for Central Asia, Almaty; email email@example.com; phone 7327 291 41 56; fax 7327 291 42 67.
- In Geneva: Sylvie Chevalley, Regional Officer for Central Asia; email firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 41 22 730 42 76; fax 41 22 733 03 95
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in Disaster Relief and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response (Sphere) in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable.
For longer-term programmes in this or other countries or regions, please refer to the Federation's Annual Appeal. For support to or for further information concerning Federation programmes or operations in this or other countries, or for national society profiles, please also access the Federation's website at http://www.ifrc.org