- The month of January was characterized by hot dry sunny weather conditions with no rainfall marking the start of the short rains season.
- The Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) was 32 indicating a moderate drought.
- The water availability was below normal for the period and shows a declining trend.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- During the month under review there was destruction of the little field crops by Quilea birds in the rainfed livelihood zone.
- The condition for pastures was fair to poor, while browse was good to fair but showing a worsening trend attributed to the below normal performance of the short rains.
- Livestock body condition for cattle was fair while that of shoats was good across all the livelihood zones.
- Milk production and consumption per household was 0.84 litres and 0.72 litres respectively compared to an average production of 1.4 litres and an average consumption of 1.13 litres.
- Percentage of children at risk of malnourishment whose MUAC was below 135mm was 9.0 for the period under review, a higher value than the long-term average of 7.2 percent.