Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
Drought Phase: Normal-Improving
• Most Biophysical indicators are showing positive fluctuations towards the expected seasonal ranges.
• Below average amount of rainfall were received in May 2020.
• The May Vegetation Condition Index values for Tana River County are above normal and clearly indicating good vegetation conditions across all sub-counties.
• The Water levels in water pans were above normal at 5(60%-99%) in all livelihood zones. Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• The forage condition is good to fair in both quality and quantity but the hatched locusts will reduce the quantity and quality..
• Livestock body condition is good to fair across all livelihood zones.
• Milk production remains stable at 3.30 litres across the livelihood zones. This is attributed to fair forage and pasture conditions.
• No Livestock deaths were reported in all Livelihood zones.
• Terms of trade are currently above normal range.
• Distances to water sources for households currently below normal ranges.
• The number of under-fives at risk of malnutrition stood at 14.50%, which is above normal at this time of the year.
• Copping strategy index for households is w