Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
• Most Biophysical indicators show positive fluctuations towards the expected seasonal ranges.
• Light showers of rainfall were received in the month of February 2020.
• The January Vegetation Condition Index values for Tana River County are above normal and clearly indicating very good vegetation conditions across all sub-counties.
• The Water levels in water pans have improved to above normal at 4(65%-75%) in all livelihood zones. Water levels within pastoral livelihood zones are still below normal and most areas are still experiencing water stress.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• The forage condition is good in both quality and quantity but the hatched locusts will reduce the quantity and quality..
• Livestock body condition has improved across all livelihood zones.
• Milk production is above normal given the improved forage and pasture conditions.
• No Livestock deaths were reported in all Livelihood zones.
• Terms of trade are currently above normal range.
• Distances to water sources for households currently are above normal ranges.
• The number of under-fives at risk of malnutrition stood at 12.30%, which is above normal at this time of the year.
• Copping strategy index for households is within normal ranges but on an improving trend