Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
▪ The county received light rains in the highlands coupled with very low temperatures while the lowlands remained dry and windy. The situation is forecasted to be dry with occasional light rains, windy and cold.
▪ The county vegetation greenness condition was above the normal range (one month VCI; 82.0) and is projected to remain good until September.
▪ The soil moisture climatology was normal and expected to remain within that range until September.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
▪ Farmers were harvesting dry maize and stocking stovers for animal feeds.
▪ Livestock body condition was good for all species across all livelihood zones and no migration was reported.
▪ Average milk production per HH per day was above normal.
▪ Terms of Trade were favorable.
▪ Milk consumption per HH per day was above normal.
▪ Return distances to water sources were below normal.
▪ Distances to water sources from grazing areas were below normal.
▪ % of children at risk of malnutrition was within normal range.