- Intermittent showers were received continuously for 4 days totalling 13.15 mm in the last dekad of the month.
- Further deterioration was noticed in rangeland cover in pastoral of Samburu north and agro pastoral. However, pastoral areas of Samburu East slightly improved as compared to last month. The overall vegetation cover increased to 19.45 from 15.81 recorded in last month though it remains in severe vegetation deficit band.
- Surface water sources are declining across the livelihood zones leading to increase trekking distance for both household and livestock.
Socio economic indicators details
- Cattle are still in dry season grazing areas. Production and consumption of milk further declined due to migration.
- Livestock deaths due to starvation have been reported in Kawop. FMD cases were confirmed in Logorate.
- Further deterioration in body condition observed for both browsers and grazers ranging between fair to poor which contributed to decline in livestock prices for all species.
- Prices of Maize flour (Posho) remained stable at Ksh 49 and terms of trade decreased to 49 kg from 52 kg recorded in December 2016.
- Crops planted withered due to inadequate rainfall.
- The proportion of sampled children under five at risk of malnutrition worsened to 24.88 per cent compared with 20.78 per cent recorded in last month.