Nyeri County: Drought Early Warning Bulletin for October 2019
Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- The onset of the October-November-December (OND) rains was early by the first week of October compared to third week of October normally The precipitation was good distribution in both time and space across all livelihoods.
- The pasture conditions during the month under review stood at 25 percent poor, 37.5 fair and 37.5 percent good across all the livelihood zones.
- The browse conditions during the month under review stood at 62.5 fair and 37.5 percent good across all the livelihood zones.
- Vegetation condition index for the month stood at 56.12. This is indicative of above normal vegetation greenness and same as the long term average.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- The livestock body condition was fair to good across the entire sub county.
- Milk production increased from 4.4 litres in September to 4.8 litres in October.
- Milk consumption remained unchanged at 1.4 litres compared to the previous month.
- Distances to water sources for households reduced from 1.1 Km last month to 0.7 Km in October. - Terms of trade ratio increased from 69.8 in September to 73.8 in October.
- Percent of children at risk of malnutrition whose MUAC was below 135 mm was 1.3 percent for the period under review which was lower than the long term average of 2.7 percent.