- The month of January was dry except for a few incidences of showers in first and second dekad accounting for about 25 percent of normal rains for the month. The rains were poor in spatial and temporal distribution.
- Vegetation condition index was on the decline at 42.28 and accounted for 84 percent of normal. Poor conditions were evident across livelihood zones.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Livestock exhibited moderate conditions in mixed livelihood zones and stressed conditions in Agro pastoral zones occasioned by deteriorating pastures.
- Crops at farm level have been abandoned after they began wilting immediately after the season rains receded.
- Milk production and consumption for the month stood at 70 percent and 71 percent of normal respectively.
- Children at risk of malnutrition surpassed normal ranges by 40 percent.
- Uptake of coping strategies as well as frequency by which they are getting employed surpassed normal threshold by 90 percent.