SEPTEMBER EW PHASE
Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- The county experienced relatively dry spell in September.
- Vegetation condition:
- The vegetation greenness as depicted by the vegetation condition index (VCI) is above normal greenness across the county.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- The on-going farming activities include harvesting of wheat in Narok North and Narok South sub counties. Land preparation for the short rain season is ongoing in Mulot, Mau and Transmara regions in the mixed farming zone.
- Livestock body condition ranged from fair to good in the pastoral livelihood zone and good in the mixed farming and the agro-pastoral livelihood zones.
- Milk production reduced slightly but within the normal range compared to the long term average.
- Terms of trade are generally good in the county especially for pastoralists.
- Milk consumption ranged from fair to good in all the livelihood zones.
- Water access for both human and livestock consumption ranged from fair to good in the pastoral livelihood zone.
- Distances to water sources were below the normal range.
Cases of malnutrition are stable and below the normal range as indicated by percent of mid upper arm Circumference (MUAC). Most households had acceptable food consumption scores and employed less coping strategies in accessing food.