Meru County: Drought Early Warning Bulletin for July 2017
Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- July remained generally cold and dry, a normal situation for this time of the year
- Vegetation conditions were generally poor with a vegetation condition Index of 45.16
- Pasture and browse conditions deteriorated further especially in the Agro-pastoral livelihood zone where significant portions of grazing areas were almost bare.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Livestock body conditions were largely fair to poor in the Agropastoral livelihood zone and fair in the Mixed Farming and Rain-fed cropping livelihoods similar to the previous month.
- Livestock have to migrate to areas around the Meru National Park,
Lower Imenti Forest, and lower areas of Igembe South, Tigania East and Tigania west that border Tharaka County.
- Conflicts over pastures and water were reported in Kinna Meru area of Igembe Central Sub-county leading to 14 human deaths and displacement of over 800 households
- Harvesting of mature dry maize, dolichos, and pigeon peas reported in few pockets of the Rain-fed cropping and the Mixed Farming livelihood zones
- Watering distances for households was 20 km compared to 18km last month while livestock covered 11.5 km similar to last.
- 23 percent of sampled children were at risk of malnutrition compared to 24 last month. 25 percent of these were at ‘Mid-risk’ category.