Kenya

Lamu County: 2015 Long Rains Food Security Assessment Report (August 2015)

Attachments

1.0 INTRODUCTION

1.1 County Background

Lamu County borders Garissa County to the North, Tana River County to the West and South and Indian Ocean to the East. It lies between latitudes 1o 40’ S and 2o 30' S and longitude 40 o 15' E and 40 o 38' E. The county is approximately 6,273.1 kilometer square in area, including the mainland and over 65 Islands, which form the Lamu Archipelago. The county comprises of two sub-counties; Lamu East and Lamu West which are further subdivided into ten county assembly wards namely Faza, Kiunga and Basuba in Lamu East and Shella, Mkomani, Hindi, Mkunumbi, Hongwe, Bahari and Witu in Lamu West. The county has an estimated population of 101,531 persons based on KNBS census (2009). The county has four main livelihood zones namely; Mixed Farming (food/cash crop/livestock) livelihood zone, Fishing and Mangrove livelihood zone; Mixed Farming (cash/food) livelihood zone; and Formal Employment/casual waged/labor and business livelihood zone as illustrated in Figure 1. The county receives a bimodal type of rainfall with long rains accounting for 80 percent total annual crop production while short rain account for the remaining 20 percent.

1.2 Current Factors Affecting Food Security

The current factor that affect food security in the County include insecurity in the some parts where farmers have abandoned their farms and grazing areas due inaccessibility due to ongoing security operations, disruptions of market functions due to insecurity especially in Lamu East Sub County, even spatial and erratic distribution of long rains, endemic livestock diseases such as Trypanosomiasis, Contagious Caprine Pleuropneumonia (CCPP) and Contagious Bovine Pleuropneumonia (CBPP), human – wildlife conflicts and poor road infrastructure that hampers transportation of farm produce.