Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
• Performance: the County received on average 2 to 6 days of rainfall across the Pastoral, Marginal Mixed Farming (MMF) and Mixed Farming (MF) zones, with majority of the days being characterised by heavy to light rainfall. The temporal and spatial distribution of the rains was fair to poor across the County.
• Vegetation Condition:
• The Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) was within the normal range for the period, indicating a fair state of vegetation. However, field observation indicate a poor state of pasture in most of the Pastoral and MMF zones.
• The available pasture and browse can last for less than one month to two months, depending on the area.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• There were reported cases of livestock migration within Laikipia County and from neighbouring Counties of Isiolo and Samburu to Mt. Kenya and neighbouring ranches and farmlands, in some cases resulting in conflict.
• The body condition of animals was below the normal range for the period.
• The terms of trade were above the normal range • The return distance from water sources to grazing areas was outside the normal range.
• Within the normal range