Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
• Performance: the County received on average 2 to 6 days of rainfall across the Pastoral, Marginal Mixed Farming (MMF) and Mixed Farming (MF) zones, with majority of the days being characterised by moderate rainfall to light showers. The temporal distribution of the rains was poor whereas the spatial distribution was fair to poor.
• Vegetation Condition:
• The Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) was within the normal range for the period, indicating a largely fair state of pasture and browse, but declining is some areas.
• The available pasture and browse can last for one to two months, depending on the area.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• There were few reported cases of livestock migration within Laikipia County.
• The body condition of animals was below the normal range for the period.
• The terms of trade were above the normal range
• The return distance from water sources to grazing areas was above the normal range.
• Within the normal range.