Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
▪ The first dekad received normal rainfall while the second dekad of the month received extremely below rainfall.
▪ The vegetation condition index for May was significantly above-average for this time of the year.
▪ The state of water sources was normal for this time of the year.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
▪ Weeding was ongoing for the long rains season which was normal for this time of the year.
▪ Milk production was within seasonal norms.
▪ There were no drought-related deaths or migration incidences reported in May.
▪ Terms of trade (casual labour to maize) had improved way above the seasonal averages this month implying improved household purchasing power for this time of the year.
▪ Milk consumption was normal for the month.
▪ Distances to water sources for household consumption were higher than normal.