Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- The onset of short rain was normal in the second week of October.
- Fair spatial and uneven temporal distribution was observed across the livelihood zones.
- The county had moderate vegetation deficit.
- The state of water in the main water points was inadequate with an improving trend.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Land preparation and planting was on-going across the county and this was normal at this time of the year.
- Majority of livestock had borderline body condition and this was unusual at this time of the year.
- There were no alarming cases of human and livestock diseases outbreaks reported.
- Unusual livestock migration cases were reported along Kitui and Tana River county borders.
- Distances to grazing areas and water sources was high.
- The Terms of Trade was unfavourable compared to long term mean.
- Milk production and consumption was slightly above normal.
- Percentage of children at risk of malnutrition was above normal.
- Households moderately applied consumption based coping strategies.