Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- The onset of short rains was normal in the second week of October.
- Fair spatial and uneven temporal distribution was observed across the livelihood zones.
- Water situation was Near Normal based on the recharged of open water sources of about 70 percent.
- The county had moderate vegetation deficit across all livelihood zones.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Planting and weeding was on-going across the county and this was normal at this time of the year.
- Majority of livestock had fair to good body condition.
- There were no alarming cases of human and livestock diseases outbreaks reported.
- Distances to grazing areas and water sources was normal.
- Terms of Trade was reported to be adverse. This was below the long-term mean.
- Milk production was slightly above normal while milk consumption was normal.
- Percentage of children at risk of malnutrition was very high.
- Households moderately applied consumption based coping strategies.