Drought situation and phase classification
Biophysical Indicators (Environmental indicators)
- The county received very little rains which were poorly distributed in terms of space and time.
- The water situation in the county remained poor following drying up of strategic water pans.
- Most areas in the county recorded fair to poor pasture condition and good to fair browse condition.
- The 3-month vegetation cover index (VCI) was 37.5 indicating a normal vegetation condition.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Livestock body condition was fair to poor in the ranching livelihood zone with a deteriorating trend while in the other livelihood zones the condition ranged between fair and good.
- Milk production was within the normal range.
- In-migration of livestock from Tana River County was reported into Magarini Sub County.
- Milk consumption was above normal.
- Average distances to water sources by households and livestock were high.
- Food and livestock prices remained high and above long term mean.
- The Terms of Trade were favorable for the livestock keepers.
- Households’ food shortages were recorded.
- Percentage of children under five-years at risk of malnutrition recorded an increase during the month under review