Kenya: MSF volunteer caught in grenade attack loses leg

Almost two months after the attack in front of the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) compound in Mandera (northeast Kenya), two of the people that resulted wounded are still in hospital. One of the victims of the attack has recently had their lower right leg amputated.

On June 26, a Dutch Medical doctor working with MSF was seriously injured in a hand-grenade attack near the MSF compound in Mandera. Three Kenyan civilians were severely injured and one Kenyan national was killed in the same attack.

The MSF doctor, Jan Willem Vander Linde, aged 27, was evacuated to Utrecht, Holland, one week after the attack, in a stable but very serious condition. Following recent complications, doctors had to amputate his right leg below the knee.

Mandera was Vander Linde's first mission for MSF. He was working as a doctor in the nutritional programme that MSF was running and was about to start working in the Paediatric Ward of the District Hospital.

Another wounded, a Kenyan national, is in stable condition but still at the Nairobi General Hospital where doctors are trying to save his leg, which is in a very bad condition as a result of the explosion. The other two wounded, also Kenyan nationals, have been discharged from hospital. They still need medical attention, which is being paid by MSF.

As a consequence of the attack, MSF decided to pull out of Mandera where it was operating a Therapeutic Feeding Centre in the District Hospital. MSF will not return to the city until there is a clearer understanding of the motives behind the attack and unless security in the area is guaranteed.

MSF was treating 38 patients in the Therapeutic Feeding Centre in Mandera before the attack and was about to start working in the Paediatric Ward of the District Hospital as the first part of a midterm program.The 38 patients were gradually discharged after completing their nutritional therapy.

MSF has been working in Mandera since 1992 in emergency responses.