- National maize stocks as at 30th June 2009 are 6.56 million bags against national requirement of 6 million bags to reach 30th August 2009 when the earliest harvest will start.
- With assumed maize imports from the East African region of 1,000,000 bags between July and August, the national Maize balance will therefore be 805,682 million bags as at end of August 2009.
- Current Maize stocks held by NCPB stand at 2,035,287 bags of 90 kg of which 1,809,867 bags is SGR and 225,420 under Relief food.
- Total area under maize is 1,242,995 hectares, about 85% of the area targeted for maize this year.
- National expected maize production for the long rains is 24 million bags from the planted area so far, at yields of only 21 bags per hectare as a result of delayed and poorly distributed rains.