GLIDE no. FL-2006-000159-KEN
Period covered by this Preliminary Final Report: 17 November 2006 to 8 June 2009
Appeal target: CHF 9.65 million (USD 7.97 million or EUR 5.88 million)
Final Appeal coverage: 109%;
- This Emergency Appeal was initially launched on 17 November 2006 for CHF 9,848,235 (USD 7,864,934 or EUR 6,157,653) for 6 months to assist 300,000 people.
- CHF 750,000 was initially allocated from the Federation's Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) to support the National Society in responding by delivering assistance.
- Operations Update No.1 was issued on 24 November 2006.
- Operations Update No. 2 was issued on 21 December 2006.
- Operations Update No.3 was issued on 15 February 2007.
- Operations Update No. 4 reduced the appeal budget from CHF 26.35 million to CHF 9.65 million (USD 7.97 million or EUR 5.88 million) and extended the time frame for an additional 12 months (up to 7 April 2008), to assist 189,535 people.
- Operations Update No. 5 extended the time frame for an additional 12 months (up to 8 June 2009), to enable the National Society complete post floods recovery operation.
- A final report will be issued once a balance of CHF 18,212 is cleared. The balance will be utilized in procuring stocks at the Zone office in preparation for the El Nino rains.
Summary: The Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS), through the support of the International Federation and other partners worked towards restoring the livelihoods of the people affected by the 2006 drought and floods in Mandera and Wajir districts. The National Society assured sustainable access to safe water and adequate sanitation, as well as improving the capacity of Red Cross branches and community members in disaster preparedness and response.