- Normal dry weather conditions prevailed in January. The 2016 short rains were between 60% – 90 % of the long term average.
- The county vegetation condition was in moderate vegetation deficit band and expected to deteriorate further until when long rains begin.
- Distances to water sources were longer than the long term average and steadily increasing.
Production and Access Indicators
- Both the daily household milk production and consumption were below normal at this time of the year.
- The terms of trade were relatively stable between December 2016 and January 2017.
- Beans yield was about 10% of long term average while maize yield was projected to be less than 5% of long term average.
- Risk of malnutrition for children aged 6-59 months was higher than the long term average.
- Nearly one half (46%) of the households were consuming poor diet in January.
- Households were now reducing the frequency of feeding and size of meals eaten in a day due to lack of money to buy food.