Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- The month of October was characterized by an alternating occurrence of heavy cloud cover, some little rains, insignificant in amount and poorly distributed in space and time.
- The 3-Month Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) was 13.6 indicating a severe vegetation deficit. Isiolo North and Isiolo South were at severe and moderate vegetation deficit respectively.
- The water levels and availability were below normal apart from a few parts that received some rains though little.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- The condition of pasture and browse was poor characterized by bare and depleted grazing areas.
- Livestock body condition for cattle and sheep was poor while that of goats and camel was fair across all the livelihood zones. Deaths of livestock continued in the pastoral livelihood zone.
- Crop production under irrigation was heavily depressed as an impact of the deteriorating water levels.
- Livestock prices indicated a poor and a declining trend and a steady increase in the prices of food commodities.
- Milk production and consumption per household was 0.9 litres and 0.7 litres respectively.
- Percentage of children at risk of malnourishment whose MUAC was below 135mm was 31.3 percent for the period under review