Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- The month of November was characterized by an alternating occurrence of heavy cloud cover, some rains, insignificant in amount and poorly distributed in space and time.
- The 3-Month Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) for Isiolo was 12.6 indicating a severe vegetation deficit. Isiolo North and Isiolo South were both at severe vegetation deficit respectively.
- The water levels and availability were below normal apart from a few parts that received some rains though little.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- The condition of pasture and browse was poor characterized by bare and depleted grazing areas with limited regeneration reported in selected parts.
- Livestock body condition for cattle and sheep was poor while that of goats and camel was fair across all the livelihood zones. Deaths of livestock continued in the pastoral livelihood zone.
- Crop production under rain fed reported progress as crops developed though supported with irrigation after rains ceased in the second and third dekads.
- Livestock prices indicated a poor with an unstable trend and a near stabilization of prices of food commodities.
- Milk production and consumption per household was 1.3 litres and 0.90 litres respectively.
- Percentage of children at risk of malnourishment whose MUAC was below 135mm was 30.8 percent for the period under review which was higher than the long-term average of 21.5 percent.