Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
▪ The weather pattern for the month of March was marked by sunny, intermittent cloud cover and some rains in Isiolo town.
▪ Vegetation condition was in moderate vegetation deficit.
▪ Forage shortage looms due to high rate of depletion in Kinna, Garbatulla and Burat wards
▪ Water availability was fair in majority of locations therefore shorter distances to watering points.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
▪ Body condition in all species improved slightly though majority are still in a poor to fair body condition. Most affected are cattle.
▪ Household milk production declined slightly and expected to improve slightly in case the rains onset actualizes as expected.
▪ Livestock market performance stabilized but may improve in case rains are received while food commodities prices remained relatively high attributed to low stocks.
▪ Household milk consumption was low due to poor availability.
▪ Proportion of households with poor and borderline food consumption increased marginally.
▪ Proportion of children who were severely malnourished increased marginally attributed to poor food consumption.