Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
▪ The month of January was characterized by sunny and hot weather with few parts experiencing little showers.
▪ Vegetation condition in a greater proportion of the county remained at moderate vegetation deficit.
▪ A great proportion of accessible forage ranged from fair to poor following poor to no regeneration in pastoral livelihood zones.
Shortage of livestock feed is therefore looming.
▪ Water availability was fair due to low recharge levels and worsened by increasing distances to forage.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
▪ Body condition of camel, goats and cattle ranged from good to fair in all livelihood zones and expected to worsen.
▪ Household milk production was low and expected to deteriorate in all livelihood zones.
▪ Livestock prices increased in all markets as demand firms up to the festive season. Food commodities prices stabilized.
▪ Household milk consumption was low given the reducing production.
▪ Proportion of households with poor and borderline food consumption increased slightly.
▪ Proportion of children who were moderately and severely malnourished decreased marginally.