Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- Rainfall: Slight erratic rainfall showers were received across the sub counties during the off season month of September
- Vegetation Condition: The vegetation condition in Mbeere North and Mbeere South remained normal in the month of September as per Vegetation Condition Index. The pasture and browse condition ranged from poor to fair
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Production indicators: Farmers across both livelihood zones have started land preparations for the short rains season planting.
Livestock body condition ranged from fair to poor in the month. There were no abnormal cases of migration, diseases or death cases reported. The milk production decreased slightly as compared to previous month from 1.1 litres per household per day in August to 1 litre per household per day in September
- Access indicators: Average distance to water sources for livestock increased to 7 km from 5.4 km recorded in the previous month, while average distance to water sources increased to 6 km from 4.7 km recorded in the previous month. The Terms of Trade decreased significantly in the reporting month
- Utilization Indicators: Milk consumption reduced slightly in the month. The proportion of children under 5 years who were at the risk of malnutrition decreased slightly to 8.7% of the total sampled children. The Coping strategy index increased by 29 percent from 9.5 in August to 13.3 in the reporting month