Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- Rainfall: 29.89 mm of rainfall was received in the region in the month of October as compared to 20.58 mm normal average.
- Vegetation Condition: The vegetation condition in Mbeere North and Mbeere South remained normal in the month of October as per Vegetation Condition Index. The pasture and browse condition ranged from poor to fair
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Production indicators: Farmers were engaged in short rains season planting while early planted crop was at germination stage.
Livestock body condition ranged from fair to poor in the month. There were no abnormal cases of migration, diseases or death cases reported. The milk production remained comparatively stable as compared to the previous month.
- Access indicators: Average distance to water sources from grazing fields for livestock increased to 11.5 km from 8.3 km recorded in the previous month, while average distance to water sources for households increased to 8.2 km from 6.5km recorded in the previous month.
The Terms of Trade decreased significantly from 71.6 in September to 56.4 in the month of October
- Utilization Indicators: Milk consumption reduced slightly in the month. The proportion of children under 5 years who were at the risk of malnutrition increased slightly from 7.1% recorded in September to 9% of the children at risk. The Coping strategy index increased by 35 percent from 13.23 in September to 17.8 in the reporting month