Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- Rainfall: 135.8 mm of rainfall was received in the region in the month of November as compared to 88.6 mm normal average.
- Vegetation Condition: The vegetation condition in Mbeere North improved from normal to above normal while in Mbeere South remained normal in the month of November as per Vegetation Condition Index. The pasture and browse condition was fair to good.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Production indicators: Farmers were engaged in short rains season planting and weeding. The early planted crop was at knee high and flowering stage while others were at germination stage.
Livestock body condition ranged from fair to good in the month. There were no abnormal cases of migration, diseases or death cases reported. The milk production slightly increased as compared to the previous month.
- Access indicators: Average distance to water sources from grazing fields for livestock decreased from 11 km recorded in the previous month to 8 km, while average distance to water sources for households decreased from 7 km recorded in the previous month to 5 km.
The Terms of Trade increased significantly from 56 in October to 82 in the month of November.
- Utilization Indicators: Milk consumption increased slightly in the month. The proportion of children under 5 years who were at the risk of malnutrition decreased slightly from 12% recorded in October to 7.8% of the children sampled at risk. The Coping strategy index decreased by 6 percent from 17.8 in October to 16.58 in the reporting month