Jordan hosts the second highest number (87) of refugees per 1,000 inhabitants in the world
Jordan is the sixth highest refugee-hosting country in the world
Percentage of Syrians living outside of camps under the Jordanian poverty line
1 in 5
Refugees registered with UNHCR in Jordan receive cash assistance to help meet essential needs like food and shelter
WORKING WITH PARTNERS
- UNHCR coordinates the refugee response under the leadership of the Government of Jordan and through the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF), in a collaborative effort between the donor community, UN agencies, international and national NGOs, community-based organizations, refugees and host communities.
Access to Energy
- All refugee households at Zaatari camp in northern Jordan are now connected to the national grid thanks to the completion of 8.67-megawatt UNHCR project in July 2016. This represents a major step forward in dignifying the lives of refugees through the provision of more reliable, efficient and safer energy. Meanwhile, Azraq camp is set in early 2017 to become the first refugee camp in the world to be powered by a large-scale source of renewable energy thanks to a project being developed by UNHCR.
Camp Coordination and Camp Management
- UNHCR supports the Syrian Refugee Affairs Directorate (SRAD) in the management and coordination of Zaatari and Azraq refugee camps. UNHCR's role is to ensure that assistance is provided in accordance with international humanitarian standards and protection principles, and to maximize the efficiency of funding provided for the refugee response by identifying gaps and targeting assistance.
Community Empowerment and Self-Reliance
- 37,000 Syrians have obtained valid work permits as the result of the Government of Jordan granting them free of charge to registered refugees - a first step towards securing livelihood opportunities for Syrian refugees in Jordan.
- UNHCR Jordan is the largest resettlement operation in the world with 24,000 vulnerable refugees submitted in 2015 and a further 32,000 individuals by the end of 2016.