Flash flooding news release #10
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) has been advised that the following roads are now passable:
- Junction (further clearance continuing)
- Lawrence Tavern
- Claverty Cottage
- Anes Delight
- Swift River
The ODPEM has been advised that a Flash Flood Warning is still in effect for low lying and flood prone areas of Portland, St. Mary, St. Ann, Trelawny and St. Catherine and the Flash Flood Watch has been extended until 5:00 p.m. today.
A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding will occur shortly while a Flash Flood Watch means that flooding is possible.
The ODPEM is issuing the following flood precautions for persons in the low-lying and flood prone areas of St Mary, Portland, St Catherine and St Ann:
- Move to safer areas with family or friends or to a public shelter.
- If your home is in a flood prone area and time permits, place essential items, appliances and furniture upon concrete blocks etc. above water level.
- Turn off all electric circuits at the fuse panel or disconnect switch. If this is not possible, turn off or disconnect all electrical appliances.
- Avoid traveling in areas subject to sudden flooding.
- Do not attempt to cross flooded waterways e.g. roads, gullies or streams whether on foot or in vehicles.
Copyright =A9 Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management, all rights reserved.