Flow Monitoring Surveys: The Human Trafficking and Other Exploitative Practices Indication Survey: Male and Female Respondents Interviewed Along the Central and the Eastern Mediterranean Routes in 2017 (January 2018)

Report
from International Organization for Migration
Published on 31 Jan 2018 View Original

9,483 surveys conducted with migrants in Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia and The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, in 2017

Focus of the report

This report contains an analysis of the responses provided by migrants and refugees travelling along the Central and the Eastern Mediterranean routes and interviewed under IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) activities in 2017. Male and female migrants are systematically compared.

The overall 2017 sample is composed of 9,483 interviewed migrants, 88% of whom (8,375) are male respondents. The remaining 12% (1,108 interviews) are female interviewees. 4,712 surveys have been conducted on the Central Mediterranean route, in around 60 different locations, either in locations close to disembarkation points in the South or in Friuli Venezia Giulia, the North-Eastern region at the border with Slovenia. Eight per cent of the interviewed migrants in Italy are female (378). 4,771 migrants have been interviewed on Eastern Mediterranean route, in Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia and The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Fifteen per cent of the interviewed migrants on the Eastern Mediterranean route are female (730).

The report analyses comparatively the profile and responses of male and female migrants interviewed on both routes in attempt to mark the similarities and differences in their journey experiences. Section 1 provides an overview of the content of the survey, with a focus on the set of questions on individual and witnessed experiences of human trafficking and other exploitative practices. Section 2 presents the analysis on interviewees` responses to the human trafficking and other exploitative practices’ indicators on the Central and the Eastern Mediterranean route. Section 3 presents some baseline information on the two routes to contextualize the reported experiences of human trafficking and other exploitative practices. The last section contains more detailed information on methodology and the data collection process.

International Organization for Migration:

Copyright © IOM. All rights reserved.