Operations Update No.2; Period covered: 1 April to 31 May, 2007; Appeal target: CHF 10,346,868 (USD 8,338,196 or EUR 6,420,644); Appeal coverage: 43%; Outstanding needs: CHF 5,856,262 (USD 4,722,815 or EUR 3,524,575) (1) (Please click here to go directly to the attached interim financial report).
- Launched on 12 February 2007 for CHF 10,346,868 (USD 8,338,196 or EUR 6,420,644) for 12 months to assist 50,000 families (300,000 beneficiaries) with relief items and 150,000 beneficiaries in the health sector.
- Final Report is due by the end of April 2008.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: N/A.
- Some of the activities from the 05EA026 appeal were re-scheduled to be implemented in 2007, i.e. warehouse construction in IRCS Baghdad Branch.
Operational Summary: Based on the cooperation & project agreements formalized with the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS), the International Federation is focusing on the core areas and made progress in programme implementation during the reporting period.
The first phase of the school first aid programme has been completed with satisfactory results. The continuation of the programme is secured from the funding point of view.
Preparation for procurement of 13,000 family kits and 8,500 first aid kits are in progress. Tender for Baghdad regional warehouse has been announced, company bids received and the committee on tender has met in Baghdad.
Planning and preparatory arrangements for the information and branch development seminar/workshop, and volunteer induction training of trainers have been taking place.
The International Federation undertakes activities that are aligned with its Global Agenda, which sets out four broad goals to meet the Federation's mission to "improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity".
Global Agenda Goals:
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
- Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
In Iraq: Mazin Saloum, Secretary General, Iraqi Red Crescent Society; email: email@example.com
In Jordan: Gurgen Boshyan, Head of Delegation, Iraq Delegation; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 00 962-79-661-7939
In Geneva: Evgeni Parfenov, Regional Officer, MENA Department, Geneva; email: email@example.com; phone 00 41.22.730.4325; fax 41.22.733.03.95
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in Disaster Relief and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response (Sphere) in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable.
For longer-term programmes in this or other countries or regions, please refer to the Federation's Annual Appeal. For support to or for further information concerning Federation programmes or operations in this or other countries, or for national society profiles, please also access the Federation's website at http://www.ifrc.org
(1) The appeal coverage and outstanding needs were calculated based on the expected income reallocation from the previous Iraq appeal no. 05EA026 in the amount of approximately CHF 858,000.