Iraq: Mosul Response - Weekly Explosive Incidents Report (19 - 25 February 2017)
February 19, 2017
• Regaining the western side of Mosul city began with the liberation of Al-Husayniyah, Sheikh Yunis, Al-Haraqiyat, Tal Kaysum, Lazaka, Athba, Al-Qantira, Al-Abiyath, Bakhira, Al-Dabajah, Al-Ibrahimiyah,
Al-Zakrutiyah, Al-Kafur, Al-Bajwari, Al-Jamasah, Al-Sada Al-Hayaleen, Imam Al-Hamza and Al-Karamah villages located on the west axis of Mosul city.
• VBIEDs, IEDs, mortars, improvised ghting vehicles, and Heavy machine guns were found and cleared in the liberated areas mentioned above and Ibra village in western Telafar city and Darnachogh in north west of Mosul city.
• Iraqi Air Forces launched airstrikes in Albu Sayf village south of Mosul city, Darnachogh village in north western side of Mosul city.
February 20, 2017
• Military Forces launched airstrikes on Wadi Akab industrial area in west part of Mosul, while ISIS shelled Al-Baladyat neighborhood on the eastern side of Mosul city which killed 4 civilians. Military Forces also launched shells on Mosul Internatioal Airport.
• VBIEDs, ammunition storages, booby-trapping and mortar making workshops and IED- factories were found and cleared in Abu Sayf village south of Mosul city, Wadi Akab industrial area western side of Mosul city and Ain Al-Hisan village west of Telafar city in Ninewa.
• Armed clashes occurred between Popular Mobilization Forces and ISIS in Ain AL-Hisan village west of Telafar city.
February 21, 2017
• Military Forces liberated Al-Sahaji village and Al-Lazaka village west of Mosul city, Albu Sayf village and Al-Ghazlani camp south of Mosul city.
• Military Forces launched airstrikes on Wadi Akab industrial area western Mosul city, northeast Al-Siniya village In Salah Al-Din and Al-Sahaji village west of Mosul city.
•IEDs, VBIEDs, mined bulldozers, IED belts, mortars, UXOs, improvising ghting vehicles, workshops and warehouses containing weapons and explosives were found and cleared in the areas of Al-Lazaka, AL-Hamza, Tal Kaysum, Al-Sahaji and Sheikh Yunis villages west of Mosul city, Wadi Akab industrial area western Mosul city, Albu Sayf and Al-Jamasah villages.
February 22, 2017
• Popular Mobilization Forces liberated Upper Al-Shari’a, Ain Al-Talawi and Kharab Jahsh villages west of Telafar city.
• Iraqi Air Forces launched airstrikes on Mosul International Airport, Al-Sahaji, and Al-Tuwaim villages west of Mosul city.
• VBIEDs, weapons, and ammunitions were found and cleared in Ain Al-Talawi and Kharab Jahsh villages west of Telafar city In Ninewa.
February 23, 2017
• Military Forces and Popular Mobilization liberated left and right Atshanah Hills in west part of Mosul city, Ninewa Sugar Factory, Mosul International Airport, Tal Al-Rayan and Al-Yarmuk villages south west of Mosul city.
• Iraqi Air Forces launched airstrikes in some parts of Hawiga district in Kirkuk, Telafar city, Al-Mayhala village south west of Telafar district, Al-Mansur neighborhood and other parts in the western side of Mosul city.
• VBIEDs, IEDs, Improvised ghting vehicles, katyusha rockets, mortar rounds, booby-trapping factories and ISIS dens were found and cleared in Lower Ibrah, Kharabah Jahsh, Tal Aksa’ and Upper Al-Shari’a villages west of Telafar, and the areas of Tal Raman, Tal Rayan, Al-Yarmuk villages, Al-Ghazlani camp and Al-Tarab neighborhood western side of Mosul city.
February 24, 2017
Military Forces and Popular Mobilization liberated the following areas; Tal Al-Zalat and Al-Masaid villages in west of Mosul city, Al-Tayaran, Al-Mamoon neighborhoods western side of Mosul and Mosul Airport stadium.
• Iraqi Air Forces launched airstrikes on the areas of Al-Masaid village in west part of Mosul and Al-Qirwan in Sinjar district of Ninewa
February 25, 2017
• Security forces liberated Hawi Josaq neighborhood, Al-Tarab neighborhood, Al-Iboor and Al-Kor in western side of Mosul city.
• Popular Mobilization liberated I'bra Al-Saghira, I'bra Al-Westa, I'bra Al-Kabera, I’brat Al-Najar, and Ibrat Al-Khanazeer villages in Telafar and a fuel station on the road between Sinjar and Telafar above Al-Shari’a Al-Shimalia.
• Security Forces and Popular Mobilization found and cleared IEDs, VBIEDs, and booby-trap houses in Kharbat Jahish, Tlol Al-Atshana, Al-O’boor, Al-Kor, Tal Al-Zalat, Al-Masa’ad, and Sahaji villages, Al-Tarab, Yarmook electricity station, between Al-Ghazlany camp and Wadi Hajar neighborhoods.
• A land mine explosion in the east side led to the death of a journalist and an injury of a camera man.