* denotes new or updated item.
KHALIS - At least nine Iraqi soldiers were killed and 15 wounded, including civilians, when a suicide bomber rammed his car into an Iraqi army checkpoint in the town of Khalis, 80 km (50 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
* BAGHDAD - U.S. forces said they killed three insurgents during an operation in the Sadr City district of Baghdad. Residents said that three people were killed, including a pregnant woman and a 70 year-old man, and seven wounded during the strike.
* TIKRIT - Gunmen killed the sister-in-law and niece of Ali Hassan al-Majid, Saddam Hussein's cousin who was dubbed "Chemical Ali", in Tikrit, 175 km (110 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
* BAGHDAD - Two car bombs killed one person and wounded three others in Bayaa district of southwestern Baghdad, police said.
* BAGHDAD - Two people were killed and 11 wounded when mortar rounds landed in the Shi'ite Abu Dshir district of southern Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb killed two people and wounded 10 near the Shorja market in central Baghdad, police said.
NEAR TAJI - U.S. forces killed four insurgents in an air strike during an operation targeting al Qaeda in Iraq west of Taji, the U.S. military said. It said that two women and two children were also believed to have been killed.
KIRKUK - Gunmen wounded five people when they threw grenades at a cafe in the northern city of Kirkuk, 250 km (150 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
BASRA - Yousif al-Moussawi, the general-secretary of the Shi'ite Tharallah Islamic Party in Basra, said he had escaped unhurt from a grenade attack on his house in Basra, 550 km (340 miles) southeast of Baghdad, on Wednesday. One of his guards was seriously wounded.
NEAR MOSUL - At least three people were killed and 59 wounded in three separate blasts in a town near Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, a local official. Two truck bombs and a suicide bomber wearing an explosive belt targeted Kurdish leader Massoud Barazani's Democratic Party of Kurdistan (PDK) and Kurdish Peshmerga forces.
BAGHDAD - The bodies of 18 people were found shot in different districts of Baghdad on Wednesday, police said.
BAGHDAD - Two people were killed and two wounded when gunmen opened fire randomly in Hurriya district in northwestern Baghdad on Wednesday, police said.
BAGHDAD - At least eight people were wounded by a mortar attack in two different districts of Baghdad on Wednesday, police said.
- Reuters - Thomson Reuters Foundation
- For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit https://www.trust.org/alertnet