* denotes new or updated item.
* DIYALA PROVINCE - A group linked to Al Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility for a suicide car bomb that killed nine U.S. soldiers and wounded 20 in one of the worst attacks on U.S. ground forces since the invasion in 2003.
* BAGHDAD - Two roadside bombs exploded in quick succession, killing one person and wounding two others, in Palestine Street in northeastern Baghdad, police said.
* BAGHDAD - The son of the Electricity Ministry escaped an apparent assassination attempt when a bomb exploded inside his locker in a dentistry college in central Baghdad, police said. Two other students were wounded in the blast.
BAGHDAD - U.S. forces detained 10 insurgents and discovered a weapons cache in Baghdad, the U.S. military said. Those detained were suspected of working with al Qaeda in Iraq and facilitating foreign fighters near Falluja.
NASIRIYA - Three Australian soldiers were injured when an improvised explosive device hit their light armoured vehicle patrol near Nasiriya, 375 km (235 miles) southeast of Baghdad on Monday, the Australian military said.
BAQUBA - Gunmen wearing Iraqi army uniforms attacked homes in a town near Baquba north of Baghdad, killing six and wounding 15, police said. Six houses were set on fire.
BAGHDAD - Two car bombs exploded in a parking lot in front of the Iranian embassy in Baghdad's Salhiya neighbourhood, a Reuters photographer said. Police said four people were wounded. A total of four car bombs have exploded in the lot in the past 24 hours.
BAGHDAD - The bodies of 15 people were found shot in different districts of Baghdad on Monday, police said.
MOSUL - The bodies of five people were found shot in different districts of Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
NEAR KERBALA - A roadside bomb targeting a joint Iraqi-U.S. patrol killed three Iraqi soldiers and wounded four others near the holy city of Kerbala, 100 km south of Baghdad, on Monday, police said.
MUQDADIYA - A U.S. soldier died on Monday after a roadside bomb exploded near him in Muqdadiya, 90 km northeast of Baghdad, the U.S. military said.
HILLA - A car bomb near a restaurant killed three people and wounded eight on Monday in Hilla, 100 km south of Baghdad, police said.
BASRA - British forces handed over a military base to Iraqi forces in a ceremony in the southern city of Basra, 550 km (340 miles) south of Baghdad. Al-Shuaiba base is the third base to be handed over to the Iraqi forces in two months.
- Reuters - Thomson Reuters Foundation
- For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit https://www.trust.org/alertnet