I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
· Two earthquakes with a magnitude of 6.4 and 6.3 on the Richter scale hit the East Azerbaijan Province at 12:23 UTC (16:53 local time) and 12:34 UTC (17:04 local time).
· The disaster has left 306 dead and more than 2,600 injured. An estimated 155,000 persons have been affected, out of whom more 50,000 have been resettled in tents.
· The National Disaster Management Organization (NDMO) and the Iranian Red Crescent Society (IRCS) have dispatched relief and search and rescue (SAR) teams to the area.
· The Iranian Vice President announced on 13 August 2012 that the government will accept international assistance if offered. No request or appeal will be issued by the Government of Iran.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.