2. The DHA Resident Coordinator reports, after contacts with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Interior and the Red Crescent Society, that according to preliminary information released by the National Disaster Task Force of the Ministry of Interior, the loss and damages include:
- 57 dead
- 160 injured
- 15 villages totally destroyed
- 3 villages 80 per cent destroyed
- 3 villages 50 per cent destroyed
- 29 villages partly damaged
- 2,800 houses damaged in both urban and rural areas
Final damage/loss is expected to exceed the above.
3. The Deputy Minister of Interior and the Director of Natural Disaster Task Force are already in the impacted area to coordinate rescue and operational activities. Government is dispatching heavy duty equipment, ambulances, medical equipment, fuel and other items to the area.
4 The Red Crescent Society of Iran has established four operational task forces in the area, and fielded 15 operational teams, including 165 relief workers. Assistance so far provided by the RCS include 850 tents and 91 tons of clothing, food and basic household utilities. Two helicopters are assisting the operation.
5. A UN Assessment Team is being dispatched from the UNHCR sub-office in Mashhad to provide an initial assessment of the extent of damages.
6. No national or international appeal has yet been made.
Telephone No. +41-22-917.12.34
In case of emergency only: +41-22-917.20.10
Desk Officer: Mr. G. Andreassen, direct Tel. +41-22-917.32.39
Press to contact: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct Tel. +41-22-917.28.56
Telex: 414242 dha ch
E. Mail: dhagva at dha.unicc.org
DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS