Iran - Earthquake
OCHA-Geneva Situation Report No. 1
4 March 1999
1. A series of strong earthquakes hit Iran earlier this morning. The epicentre of the strongest quake was in a rural area about 150 km northeast of Bandar-E-Abbas approximately 900 km southeast Tehran. According to the United States Geological Survey, the earthquake measured 6.5 on the Richter scale with the epicentre situated at latitude 28.3 degrees north and longitude 57.2 degrees east. It occurred at 05:38 hrs GMT or 09:08 hrs local time. Other geological monitoring sources (Swiss Seismological Service) put the magnitude of the earthquake slightly lower (6.4 on the Richter scale).
2. The UN Resident Coordinator's office in Tehran reports that, according to information received from the National Disaster Task Force of the Ministry of Interior, the earthquake did not cause any deaths or injuries. Damage is reported in three villages, namely Zehmagan, Farney and Abshouye in Faryab District. In two districts, Esfandaghe and Esmaeliye at Jiroft city, in the Kerman Province, minor physical damage occurred. It is also reported that relief teams have reached the villages and are providing aid and emergency supplies to the stricken population.
3. OCHA is in close contact with the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Tehran, Iran, who is closely monitoring the development of the situation through continuous dialogue with the national authorities in charge of the emergency relief operation and through contacts with the area. OCHA is also in contact with the international relief community.
4. No request for international assistance has been received by OCHA at this time.
5. This situation report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: +41-22-917 12 34
In case of emergency: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers: Ms. S. Metzner-Strack/Mr.
R. Mueller/Ms. M. Kondo,
OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel. +41-22-917-2144 / 3131 / 1997
Press contact: Ms. E. Ponomareva, direct Tel. +41-22-917 23 36
Telex: 414242 OCHA CH
Fax: +41-22-9187 00 23
E-mail: info at dha.unicc.org
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.