FOCUS ON RECONSTRUCTION: JULY - AUGUST
The Federation's mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity. It is the world's largest humanitarian organization and its millions of volunteers are active in over 185 countries.
Period covered: 1 July to 31 August 2006;
Appeal target: CHF 53,288,000 (USD 40,893,875 or EUR 33,742,485);
Appeal coverage: 97 %
Outstanding needs (re vised according to plan): CHF 1,651,928 (USD 1,268,180 or EUR 1,046,090) - Please note that the Federation is not seeking new cash contributions. All planned projects implemented through multilateral support and included in the revised plan of action have received sufficient support. The balance shown above represents the budget provision for the project which was planned to be implemented through bilateral cooperation, but later cancelled (please click here to go directly to the Contributions List availabl e on the website).
- Preliminary Appeal launched on 26 December 2003 for CHF 15,409,300 (USD 12,290,337 or EUR 9,886,505) for 6 months for 200,000 beneficiaries.
- Revised Appeal launched on 8 January 2004 for CHF 51,913,000 (USD 42,006,534 or EUR 33,119,207) for 6 - 8 months for 210,000 beneficiaries.
- Revised Plan of Action presented on 29 September 2004, to reflect on-going programming into 2005, under the overall Emergency Appeal. A revised appeal budget for the period from December 2003 to December 2005 reflects the revised Plan of Action, and totaling to CHF 53,288,000 (USD 45,231,315 or EUR 34,324,335).
- The Final Report for the Emergency Operation Phase of the Bam Appeal, covering the period from 26 December 2003 to 31 August 2004, was issued on 8 December 2004 with Operations Update No.19.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: N/A
The construction of standard and special schools in Bam is nearing the completion. Five standard schools and two special schools are expected to be completed before 24 September 2006 when the new Iranian school year begins and the remaining two special schools in mid-November 2006. A final inauguration ceremony of the schools has been re-scheduled for the end of November 2006.
Projects for psycho-social support programme (PSP), disaster management (DM) and community-based disaster preparedness (CBDP) have been implemented in line with the initial plan of action to enhance the Iranian Red Crescent Society's (IRCS) DM capacity at all levels.
The International Federation undertakes activities that are aligned with its Global Agenda, which sets out four broad goals to meet the Federation's mission to "improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity".
Global Agenda Goals:
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- In Iran: Seyed Hadi Samaei, Director General of International Affairs Department, Iranian Red Crescent Society, Tehran, email firstname.lastname@example.org, mobile 98 912 384 7050, phone 98 21 88662618-19, fax 98 21 88662652
- In Iran: Chang Hun Choe, Acting Head of Delegation, Iran Delegation, Tehran, email email@example.com, mobile 98 912 2172507, phone 98 21 88672424-28, fax 98 21 88672429
- In Geneva: Evgeni Parfenov, Federation Regional Officer, MENA Department, Geneva, phone 41 22 730 43 25; fax 41 22733 03 95; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in Disaster Relief and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response (Sphere) in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable.
For longer-term programmes in this or other countries or regions, please refer to the Federation's Annual Appeal. For support to or for further information concerning Federation programmes or operations in this or other countries, or for national society profiles, please also access the Federation's website at http://www.ifrc.org The IRCS maintains a website (www.rcs.ir) both in English and Farsi which also provides the latest information,operational updates, reports, interviews and news on the Bam operation to the public.
(pdf* format - 296 KB)