The Federationís mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity. It is the worldís largest humanitarian organization and its millions of volunteers are active in over 181 countries.
Period covered: 1 April to 30 June 2006;
Appeal target: CHF 53,288,000 (USD 42,833,285 or EUR 34,078,905);
Appeal coverage: 97 %
Outstanding needs (revised according to plan): CHF 1,651,928 (USD 1,327,700 or EUR 1,056,610) ñ Please note that the Federation is not seeking new cash contributions. All planned projects implemented through multilateral support and included in the revised plan of action have received sufficient support. The balance shown above represents the budget provision for the project which was planned to be implemented through bilateral cooperation, but later cancelled. (please click here to go directly to the Contributions List available on the website).
- Preliminary Appeal launched on 26 December 2003 for CHF 15,409,300 (USD 12,290,337 or EUR 9,886,505) for 6 months for 200,000 beneficiaries.
- Revised Appeal launched on 8 January 2004 for CHF 51,913,000 (USD 42,006,534 or EUR 33,119,207) for 6 ñ 8 months for 210,000 beneficiaries.
- Revised Plan of Action presented on 29 September 2004, to reflect on-going programming into 2005, under the overall Emergency Appeal. A revised appeal budget for the period from December 2003 to December 2005 reflects the revised Plan of Action, and totaling to CHF 53,288,000 (USD 45,231,315 or EURO 34,324,335).
- The Final Report for the Emergency Operation Phase of the Bam Appeal, covering the period from 26 December 2003 to 31 August 2004, was issued on 8 December 2004 with Operations Update No.19.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: N/A
Reconstruction projects are being implemented to meet the clearly identified priority needs of the affected population in Bam. The construction of educational and health facilities in Bam and the implementation of projects for enhanced services of the Iranian Red Crescent Society (IRCS) are going on in line with the objectives outlined in the International Federationís revised Em ergency Appeal (no.25/03). The urban health centre has been completed and handed over to the Ministry of Health. Progress is being made in the construction of schools.
Projects for psycho-social support (PSP), disaster management (DM) and community-based disaster preparedness (CBDP) are being implemented to enhance the IRCSí DM capacity at all levels.
The International Federation undertakes activities that are aligned with its Global Agenda, which sets out four broad goals to meet the Federation's mission to "improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity".
Global Agenda Goals:
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
- Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
In Iran: Iranian Red Crescent Society, Tehran, Seyed Hadi Samaei, Director General of International Affairs Department, email firstname.lastname@example.org, mobile 98 912 384 7050, phone 98 21 88662618-19, fax 98 21 88662652
In Iran : Chang Hun Choe, Acting Head of Delegation, Iran Delegation, Tehran, email email@example.com, mobile 98 912 2172507, phone 98 21 88672424-28, fax 98 21 88672429
In Geneva: Evgeni Parfenov, Federation Regional Officer, MENA Department, Geneva, phone 41 22 730 43 25, fax 41 22733 03 95, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in Disaster Relief and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response (Sphere) in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable. For longer-term programmes in this or other countries or regions, please refer to the Federationís Annual Appeal. For support to or for further information concerning Federation programmes or operations in this or other countries, or for national society profiles, please also access the Federationís website at http://www.ifrc.org
The IRCS maintains a website (www.rcs.ir ) both in English and Farsi which also provides the latest information, operational updates, reports, interviews and news on the Bam operation to the public.
(pdf* format - 245 KB)