In addition, hundreds of residents of the flood-hit villages in the Golestan province have been made homeless. They told IRIB that they have yet to receive any bread or water, although relief workers are reportedly on the scene.
In the meantime, the official news agency IRNA reported earlier Wednesday that several officials are to be dismissed in response to the renewed floods in Golestan province.
President Mohammad Khatami will dismiss any official in Golestan province who failed to do a proper job in handling the crisis, government spokesman Abdullah Ramezanzadeh said.
Khatami ordered a special commission to the province to make a report on the floods which have caused huge financial damage, the spokesman added.
The floods, triggered by torrential rains since Monday, severed power lines, uprooted trees and blocked roads over a huge area.
More than 200 people were killed last year during floods in Golestan province which also made over 10,000 people homeless. dpa fm rds pmc
Copyright (c) 2002 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur
Received by NewsEdge Insight: 08/14/2002 11:30:11
- Deutsche Presse Agentur
- Copyright (c) dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH