This Bulletin is being issued for information only, and reflects the situation and the information available at this time. The Federation is not seeking funding or other assistance from donors for this operation at this time.
Heavy rains in the first week of February 2007 caused massive flooding in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta. It is estimated that nearly 60 per cent of the city was inundated with water, following days of torrential rain that had caused rivers to burst, pouring muddy waters up to four metres deep into homes and buildings. With increasing water levels, some 74,000 houses were submerged, especially in areas along the 13 rivers that run through the capital.
At least 56 people were reported killed, and an estimated 340,000 people made homeless, most of who were accommodated in 700 temporary shelters in different places such as schools, mosques, office buildings, tents and other neighbourhoods.
Public utilities, communication and livelihoods were seriously disrupted and caused fears of polluted water spreading disease. Electricity and water supply were cut in large areas of the city. Telecommunications were down in some parts of city while transportation was disrupted in most areas, with major train lines and some roads closed.
The following locations in Jakarta were affected:
- Central Jakarta: three sub-districts; Tanah Abang, Gambir and Kemayoran
- North Jakarta: five sub-districts; Kelapa Gading, Cilincing, Koja, Tanjung Priok and Pademangan
- West Jakarta: seven sub-districts; Palmerah, Grogol Petamburan, Tambora, Cengkareng, Kali Deres, Taman Sari and Kebon Jeruk
- South Jakarta: nine sub districts; Tebet, Kebayoran Baru, Pesanggrahan, Cilandak, Mampang, Pancoran, Jagakarsa, Pasar Minggu and Setia Budi
- East Jakarta: eight sub-districts; Jatinegara, Makasar, Kramat Jati, Duren Sawit, Matraman, Pulo Gadung, Cakung and Ciracas.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
Indonesian Red Cross (PMI): Mr. Arifin M. Hadi (head of disaster management division); email: firstname.lastname@example.org; mobile: +62.811.943.952; telephone: +62.21.799.2325 ext. 222;
Federation Country Delegation in Indonesia: Bob McKerrow (head of delegation); email: email@example.com; mobile: +62.811.824.859; fax: +62.21.7918.0905,
Federation Secretariat in Geneva (Asia Pacific department): Josse Gillijns (regional officer); email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +44.22.730.4224, fax: +41.22 733.0395 or Priya Nair; email: email@example.com; phone: + 44-22.730.4296
Asia Pacific Zone in Kuala Lumpur: Ms Amy Gaver, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: + 60 3 2161 0892, fax: +60 3 2161 1210, mobile +60 12 220 1174