OCHA Situation Report No. 2
11 July 2007
This report is developed by HC/RC Office in Indonesia based on information provided by the National Coordinating Board for the Management of Disaster (BAKORNAS PB), Provincial Executing Unit for the Management of Disaster (SATKORLAK PB) of North Maluku Province, District Executing Unit for the Management of Disaster (SATLAK PB) West Halmahera district, PMI, OXFAM GB, UNDP, UNICEF, and media reports.
1. Mount Gamkonora, located in South Ibu Sub-district, West Halmahera District, North Maluku Province, Indonesia erupted on 9 July at 14:50 hrs East Indonesian Time or 12:50 Jakarta time. Mount Gamkonora is located 3.5 hours from Ternate, capital of North Maluku Province. The mountain spewed cold lava and the dust is now piling up to 30 cm high with the radius of around 7.5 km from the epicenter. The level of alert remains at the highest level (Level IV).
2. SATKORLAK PB reported that the number of IDPs has reached 8,661. Local government officials are supporting the IDPs in two locations. For northern areas, IDPs are gathering in Gamsungi, the capital of West Sub-district, and for southern areas, people are staying in Tosoa. There is a need for more tents, sanitation facilities, and medical supplies in both locations.
3. PMI (Indonesian Red Cross) sources at the affected area INDICATED possible priority needs to be food, clean water, medical supplies, and dust masks.
4. BAKORNAS PB is monitoring the situation and alerted that in case of a severe eruption logistics will be an issue since the mountain is located in an island to which transportation is difficult.
5. Local government continues to mobilize trucks to help evacuate people. PMI at the field is mobilizing emergency relief to the affected area including 20,000 masks.
6. SATLAK PB reported that based on the instruction from the Governor, relief assistance should be coordinated through one-door policy through SATLAK PB West Halmahera District, with Mr. Imam Barkah as the Secretary to be the contact person, at 0813 4047 4296.
7. UNDP Office in Ternate whose programme area includes South Ibu sub-district is monitoring the situation through its staff (contact person: Mr. Altakdir, 0812 1292 301).
8. OXFAM GB will send an Emergency Response Team (ERT) tomorrow morning to assess the situation, the needs and gaps while also bringing with them some relief supplies including masks (contact person: Ms. Puspa, 0812 2691 210) UNICEF Office in Makassar will send a staff to assess the situation tomorrow morning.
9. The UN RC/HC Office in Jakarta will continue to be in direct contact with pertinent government and nongovernment institutions, as well as with the Indonesian Red Cross to monitor the situation.
For detailed information please contact:
Titi Moektijasih, Liaison and Coordination Officer
Tel.: +(62-21) 314-1308 ext. 107
Mobile: +(62-811) 987 614
Fax: +(62-21) 319-00003
OCHA Regional Office for Asia and the
Mr. Rajan Gengaje, Regional Disaster Response Adviser
Tel. + 66-2288-2572
Mob. + 66-8-1916-1271
(NY) Ms. Kirsten Gelsdorf, Tel. +1-917 367 2174, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
(GVA) Mr. Guadelupe deSousa, Tel. +41-22-917 4339
(NY) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, Tel. +1-917 367 5126
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, Tel. +41-22-917 2653
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.