1. Mount Gamkonora, located in South Ibu Sub-district, West Halmahera District, North Maluku Province, erupted yesterday at 14:50 hrs East Indonesian Time or 12:50 Jakarta time. Mount Gamkonora is located 3.5 hours from Ternate, capital of North Maluku Province. The mountain spewed cold lava and the dust is now piling up to 30 cm high with the radius of around 7.5 km from the epicenter. The Center for Vulcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation has increased the level of alertness from Level III to Level IV (the highest one) since yesterday. SATKORLAK PB reported that there have been five eruptions since 07:30 Jakarta time this morning.
2. SATKORLAK PB reported that some 4,000 IDPs have been moved from the most dangerous villages (Tosoa, Goal, Tongute, and Togola). Some 15,000 people are staying within the radius of 8 km from the epicenter.
3. There has been no report of casualties and damages so far.
4. SATKORLAK PB convened a daily coordination meeting today attended by the Governor of North Maluku Province and SATLAK PB West Halmahera to strengthen coordination on emergency response.
5. Local government is mobilizing trucks to evacuate the people and also provided 6 MT rice, 13 platoon tents, 100 plastic sheets, 10 fiber latrines, 1 unit mobile truck for water supply, 50 boxes instant noodles, 72 women dress, 48 sarong, and 111 mats. The Department of Health is providing 10,000 masks.
6. BAKORNAS PB is sending a team of two experts with approximately US$1,600 to assess the situation and provide coordination support.
7. As of the writing of this report there is no need for the UN or international intervention as per the statement from the SATKORLAK, North Maluku.
8. The UN RC/HC Office in Jakarta will continue to be in direct contact with pertinent government and non-government institutions, as well as with the Indonesian Red Cross to monitor the situation.
For detailed information please contact:
OCHA Indonesia: Titi Moektijasih, Liaison
and Coordination Officer
Tel.: +(62-21) 314-1308 ext. 107; Mobile: +(62-811) 987 614 Fax: +(62-21) 319-00003; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
OCHA Regional Office for Asia and the
Pacific (Bangkok): Mr. Rajan Gengaje, Regional Disaster Response Adviser
Tel. + 66-2288-2572; Fax: +66-2288-1043; Mob. + 66-8-1916-127; e-mail: email@example.com
(NY) Ms. Kirsten Gelsdorf; Tel. +1-917 367 2174; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
(GVA) Mr. Guadelupe deSousa; Tel. +41-22-917 4339
(NY) Ms. Stephanie Bunker; Tel. +1-917 367 5126
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs; Tel. +41-22-917 2653
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.