OCHA Situation Report No. 3
Indonesia - Floods, Landslides
8 August 2001
This report is based on information provided by the Government of Indonesia through the OCHA Office in Jakarta and by bilateral donors.
Situation and response
1. The National Disaster Management Coordination Board (Bakornas PB) has informed that, as of yesterday, 7 August, 84 people have died from floods and landslides caused by heavy rainfall on the island of Nias, North Sumatra on 30-31 July. 173 people are still missing.
2. Six sub-districts were hit by the disaster, Lahusa sub-district being the worst affected. According to information provided by the Bakornas PB assessment mission, 738 houses were destroyed and 4 bridges, 7 schools and 3 churches were damaged.
3. The Indonesian Vice-President travelled to Nias on 7 August, bringing along 100 MT of rice and IDR 200 million (USD 20,400) in cash. This is in addition to 100 MT of food aid, non-food items and medicine and IDR 100 million (USD 10,200), which the Bakornas PB mission delivered to the affected population.
4. 697 people who lost their homes are still accommodated in schools in Lahusa and Teluk Dalam sub-districts. They are receiving food and medical treatment.
5. The US Government has released emergency relief funds of USD 25,000 to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) for the immediate relief to the flood victims. The IFRC and the Indonesian Red Cross will use the funds to provide emergency food and relief items to the people living in temporary shelter, and to support their long-term recovery from the effects of the disaster.
6. OCHA is in close contact with the OCHA Office in Jakarta and will revert with further information, as it becomes available.
7. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. F. Gentiloni / Mr. R. Mueller / Mr. S. Matsuka / Mr. K.Quiding
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 3512 / 3131 / 4034 / 1769
(GVA) - Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct Tel. +41-22-917 31 60
(N.Y.) - Ms. P. Lee, direct Tel. +1-212-963 48 32
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.