ASEAN Weekly Disaster Update, 16 - 22 April 2018
Regional Summary (Week 16)
1) Disasters recorded in Week 16 were hydro-meteorological in nature with floods, landslides, hail storms and strong wind in Indonesia and Thailand.
2) In Indonesia, a very shallow M 4.4 Earthquake with epicenter at 4 km below ground surface in Banjarnegara Regency, Central Java Province, Indonesia has caused fatalities, displaced 2,125 people and damaged hundreds of houses. National Disaster Management Authority (BNPB) is supporting its local counterpart BPBDs and released on-call budget; 641 personnel dispatched and 4 evacuation centers are in operations.
3) In Thailand, hailstorms on 16-19 April 2018 have damaged 3,758 houses in 665 villages of 36 northern and northeastern provinces. For Week 17, Thailand Meteorological Department further issued weather warning of hailstorms for the period of 24-27 April 2018 applicable for those provinces.
4) ASEAN Specialised Meteorological Centre downgraded warning status to Alert Level 1 on 20 April 2018 due to the a gradual increase in rainfall. More wet weather can be expected for the northern ASEAN region in the coming weeks.
5) All disasters occurred in Week 16 were within the capacity of respective ASEAN Member States.