AHA Centre Flash Update #2: Earthquakes in Eastern Indonesia, 28 February 2018
1) A total of 37 aftershocks of above magnitude 5.0 were recorded after the initial magnitude 7.5 was recorded on 26 Feb 2018, 0044hrs UTC+7 (AHA Centre DMRS).
2) The earthquakes occur largely along the fault lines and are recorded in the highlands and remote areas of PNG, resulting in landslides and impeding communications. Quake assessment is affected and death toll is at least 15 with dozens injured. 4 oil and gas fields have halt work as a result of the earthquake.
3) Indonesian Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) is coordinating with local authorities in Papua on the damage and impact assessment.
4) Immediate needs of victims are 1) food, 2) water supply, 3) Medical services (personnel, equipment and medicines).
5) However, minor damage was reported in Mindiptanah, Waropko and Arimop districts in Boven Digoel Regency (BNPB, 27 Feb 2018):
- Mindiptanah district: 4 houses, 1 mosque and 1 health center
- Waropko district: 2 houses, 1 water service building;
- Arimop district: 1 house, 1 school and 1 district office;
- Remote field conditions, limited accessibility and difficult communication networks inhibit data collection.